Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Can I blog to lose weight?--Day 5

   Today the Wall Street Journal had a big article on the cover of the Personal Journal section entitled The Battle of the Office Candy Jar.  Okay, I have to admit that the huge picture of the candy caught my attention. It's a story about how the candy jars and other sweets that people bring into offices are contributing to people's weight gain. I have to ask--Is this really news? It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out if you offer people high calorie, yummy stuff all day long, most will, at some point, indulge. Here's the big surprise...are you ready?...that people will eat more candy displayed in clear glass jars within reach of their seat, than candy stored in opaque jars out of reach. Who woulda thought?!
"'The proximity and visibility of food can consistently increase an adult's consumption', says the study" done by a professor at Cornell. I'd like to get funding to do a study on children's behavior, I'm sure it would be sooo different! Really, "Mindless Eating" I could have written the book myself, without a study. It just goes to show you how obsessed with food and eating we are.

I used to think that working from home was the bigger challenge--the kitchen is so close. But this is making me rethink that. If you do work in an office where people are constantly bringing in treats, you have temptation everyday. I know I was guilty of this. It was a good way of getting temptation out of the house and foist it on others. Today, I guess the only thing that would keep me from eating it, would be the peer pressure: wanting not to look like Winnie-the-Pooh going after his honey pot. Oh inside, I'm thinking it...
But now I have new resolve, as long as I'm working from home, I can, for the most part, control what food I bring into it. But here's the other side of that issue...
If I have a craving for something--say chocolate and I deny myself it. I will eat and eat and eat everything else around it and still not be satisfied, until finally I will give in and have some. Now I ask you, wouldn't I be better off having exactly what I am craving--even a little of it , than eating 12,000 calories trying to avoid it?
Okay, I guess I just won't leave it out... in a clear glass jar...on my desk...on my counter...on my coffee table...
The big weigh-in: -0 no change. Oh well at least it didn't go up.

No comments:

Post a Comment