Friday, April 15, 2011

can I blog to lose weight?--Day 7/8

Okay, I guess technically this is day 8. Trust me you didn't want to hear from me on day 7--not a good day. Just one of those days when everything you try to do just doesn't go right.
So now here we are, a week later from the birth of this blog. One way to see if change is happening is to see how the clothes are fitting. In fact, this is my primary way of keeping things in-check. Everyone knows that scales never tell the whole truth--muscle weighs more than fat etc... This is also why you should never wear elastic waistbands. Living in those yoga pants? Very dangerous. Oh come on, unless you are a yoga instructor, you are just inviting trouble no matter how comfortable they are. Oh sure, so easy to grab, very functional for hanging-out, but do that for a a couple weeks and then try to wiggle into a pair of tight jeans without cutting-off your circulation.
I love clothes. In fact, being able to wear them well is one of my primary motivations for losing weight. When you feel good in your clothes, you can project a whole other attitude to the world. Just watch a makeover show and you'll know what I'm talking about. The transformation of taking a frumpy-looking woman (or man) and putting her in something current and flattering is equivalent to giving her a shot of energy, youth and confidence all in one.
It is so easy to let yourself fall into frumpiness when you don't feel good about your body. It's depressing when your clothes aren't fitting well and shopping can get you down. Who wants to invest in clothes in a larger size? It's like resigning yourself to being bigger. But you must have something to wear while you are slimming down. It is imperative to feel good in order to keep you motivated.
We've all seen women poured into clothes that are about 5 times too small. Doesn't she realize what she looks like? Is she in that much denial? Just because you can button the waistband doesn't mean that it fits. I welcome the return of styles that are a bit more comfortable, more wearable for most people. Think MadMen. Sexy but livable.
When I had the body to wear these revealing clothes, the style was pretty conservative and covered up. Remember pantyhose? I try not to. I look back and think how boring looking I was in my 20's. Well, sure, you could argue that I was always "in style" but that doesn't mean the style wasn't really bad.
I didn't even look as young (hot, sexy) as I could have in my youth. Now I want to look youthful, but not like I'm trying to look young. Trying to look young (like a 24 year old) just reveals how old you really are. It's really tricky, especially if you are larger.
 I guess it's all about dressing for your bodytype. Knowing your perfect hem length, neckline and silhouete. Embracing what makes you, you and hiding what you don't want the world to see.
I ran across an old photo from college, and the dress I have on makes me look like a cast member from Big Love, not quite in the Morman polygamist cult, but maybe a recent escapee. And I wasn't a prude or   sexually repressed. Then about a week after trying to put this image out of my mind, I see the exact same dress showcased in a different color on The View by Tory Burch! Styles really do get recycled.
Recently while shopping with my daughter, she was drawn like, a moth to the flame, to something just like I wore 25-30 years ago!  She thought it was so cool...I couldn't stop from shouting...Do NOT go into the light. Stop where you are. Turn away from it. Don't even look at it. ... 
Weigh in Day 8: -.5.

No comments:

Post a Comment